Friday 17 January 2014

Songs you can't be blue to...

I've been something of a miserable sod lately, spending far more time than can possibly be good for me feeling sorry for myself, whining and generally being a bummer to be around. It's time to try and shake off those winter blues, and there's no better way of doing that than with a spot of music. So, in no particular order, here are my picks of songs it's impossible to stay blue to.

Fiesta - The Pogues

You start the song all mopey, but before you know it you're jumping around, bouncing off the walls. Perfect.


For iPhone/iPad click here.


I Want You Back - Jackson 5

One of those songs that makes me want to slide on to a dance-floor from it's opening note, I can even banish all thoughts of how Michael turned out when listening to the Jackson 5. That's some pretty powerful stuff...


For iPhone/iPad click here.

Birdhouse in Your Soul - They Might Be Giants

I have a secret to tell from my electrical well...Nothing makes me happier than singing (probably more like shrieking) about killing Jason off with countless screaming argonauts.


For iPhone/iPad click here.


Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard - Simon & Garfunkel

Bouncy and fun, I only have to hear a snatch of this song and it's stuck in my head for the rest of the week. I can't embed the proper video for some reason, so you'll have to make do with a scene from the Royal Tenenbaums instead. Which is rather cheering in itself...

And if that doesn't cheer you up, there's always You Can Call Me Al.


For iPhone/iPad click here.


Groove Is In The Heart - Deee-Lite


From the inclusion of this song, you will most likely be able to tell exactly when I did most of my growing up...


For iPhone/iPad click here.


Half Man Half Machine - Goldie Lookin' Chain

The perfect band for when I'm feeling miserable, they never fail to me make laugh. And never more so than with this. (The official video bleeps all the swears, so you'll just have to imagine a proper video instead)

For iPhone/iPad click here.


I'm A Believer - The Monkees

Another song that makes me want to wiggle, and sing along at the top of my voice, banishing all misery at least until it's over...

For iPhone/iPad click here.


Sweet Child O'Mine - Guns N' Roses

With the most perfect opening in music history, I defy anyone to listen to this and not find themselves attempting Axl's snaky hip dance.

For iPhone/iPad click here.


Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder

You could choose quite a few Stevie Wonder tracks for this, but my favourite is this:

For iPhone/iPad click here.


One Step Beyond - Madness

Much like Stevie, you could probably pick any of Madness's songs and they would do a great job of lifting you up. But I'm going with this one.


For iPhone/iPad click here.


One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces - Ben Folds Five

The piano in Ben Folds Five always gives me a case of the happy's. As does getting to sing "Kiss my ass" very loudly.

For iPhone/iPad click here.



Hey Ya! - Outkast

If you listened to the lyrics in this one, you'd probably get a little more bummed out than cheerful, but the music makes you think you're listening to a different song entirely and does indeed make you want to shake it like a polaroid picture. (Skip to 1 minute in if you don't fancy watching the pre-scenes)

For iPhone/iPad click here.



Back in Black - AC/DC

Nothing quite banishes a case of the blues like doing your best Angus Young impression.

For iPhone/iPad click here.

Ahh, that's better. Let me know which songs you think should have been included, and happy Friday everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment