Monday 16 June 2014

Company of Liars, Karen Maitland

4.5 stars

Giving me back my reading mojo after a run of books that I’ve really not enjoyed is Company of Liars, a brilliantly atmospheric and compelling journey across the England of 1348 – oozing with mud, drowning in rain and festering with plague – a book I picked up at the beginning of my day off and was unable to put down again until I’d finished it just after midnight on the same day.

As the plague takes hold of the coast and starts to make its steady way across the land, nine strangers band together to try and outrun the death that is snapping at their heels, only to find that the secrets each of them harbour may just be even deadlier.



Maitland proves to be more than adept at bringing to Medieval England to gruesome life with the sounds, sights, smells and suspicions that permeated the land all in starring roles, alongside the vivid characters.

I’m very happy to see that Company of Liars is just one of many historical fictions to Maitland’s name, and I will definitely be picking up more.

No comments:

Post a Comment